- First LIAS terminals available to Library Users
- Special Collections assigned 3 IBM PCs.
- “Brief Record” project in Special Collections: 44,000 LIAS records created.
- Faculty and Student Studies created on 3rd floor of McFarlin 1929 wing.
- Library finishes eliminating the main cataloguing backlog of 436,000 items.
- Browsing Room is remodeled and renamed the Faculty Study. The second floor north is named the Student Study.
- Special Collections acquires the Rebecca West collection, the Elizabeth Taylor collection and the David Emery Gascoyne collection.
- 3rd floor East Wing assigned to Special Collections..
- Rebecca West Papers arrive.
- Archive functions merged with Special Collections; Toby Murray moves to full-time Conservation Administration News and preservation activity.
- Card catalog discarded
- Wilson proposal developed with Kenneth Kirkpatrick and submitted to NEH.
- Colin Franklin is visiting professor of English.
- Library is given 10 Memorex-Telex microcomputers for patron use and instruction.
- Public LIAS terminals increase from 6 terminals to 12.
- Automated inventory control implemented using LIAS (Library Information Access System).
- Cards are still used to check out books.
- First databases and indexes (subsidized searching).
- Sitwell Family collection acquired from William Wreden.
- Revised Wilson proposal submitted to NEH.
- First use of 1.5 million polyester for dust jacket protection.
- Wilson Library fully catalogued.
- Colin Franklin is again visiting professor of English.
- Lori N. Curtis joins staff of Special Collections.
- Special Collections administrative area remodeled.
- Richard Ellmann papers acquired.
- Library cataloguers get their own LIAS terminals on their desks.
- LIAS first used to check out books to patrons.
- Irish poet Richard Murphy donates his papers to TU.
- Sixth floor Preservation Lab opens.
- Library acquires two-millionth volume.
- Public LIAS terminals get their first printer.
- Poetry Bookshop collection acquired from Howard Woolmer. Paul Scott exhibition mounted at Philbrook.
- Richard Ellmann’s library arrives; Ellsworth Mason donates files on his work with Ellmann.
- E.Nelson Bridwell collection donated by Marjorie Smalley.
- HVAC system in Special Collections is replaced; each floor individually zoned.
- Richard Murphy papers acquired.
- Anthony Rota is visiting professor in English.
- The family of J.B. Milam, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1941 to 1949, donates his extensive library to TU.
- McFarlin acquires the E. Nelson Bridwell and Willa Cather collections.
- Photocopies cost $.05 each.
- 2,025,366 volume equivalents.
- Perimeter security system (Schlage Electronics Model 808S) installed. Dewey classified books inventoried.
- Willa Cather collection given by Mary Herron.
- RLIN terminals installed.
- Special Collections remained open Wednesday evenings (too few staff, too little traffic, to continue).
- J.B, Milam Library given by grandchildren; Farris collection of bird slides donated.
- Oklahoma’s research universities (TU, OU and OSU) agree to reciprocal privileges with other universities for faculty.
- Dr. Ben Henneke, TU President Emeritus, begins to donate his research materials to the library.
- A fiber optic LAN is installed in the library.
- McFarlin becomes tobacco free.
- IBM 8088 PCs replaced with three PS2s.
- Tulsa Audubon Society Papers; Samuel G. Kennedy notebook
- First CD-ROM products are introduced in the library.
- Computers upgraded to DTK386sxs.
- Kavan watercolors and sketches added; Our American Cousin; Harriet Barclay papers
- Encapsulation using Mylar “pages” constructed for some high-value manuscripts begun.
- 241 Rhys letters to Francis Wyndham. Murphy-Larkin letter.
- McFarlin’s staff gets email, and begins to experiment with Gopher, Lynx, and Usenet.
- Sid Huttner appointed Asst to Director for Library Relations.
- Richard Murphy program at a Cultivation dinner held in George Gilpin’s home.
- Dinner meeting of prospects for a Visiting Committee for Special Collections.
- McFarlin Fellows is created to provide funds for acquiring distinguished rare books and manuscripts.
- V.S. Naipaul Papers acquired.
- Visiting Committee for Special Collections appointed by Provost Gilpin. They recommend the McFarlin Fellows to provide (1) opportunities, by way of
programs, for publicizing the collections and the library’s work; (2) funding, by way of annual gifts, and (3) a means to attract the support of collectors and others interested in books and literature who, over time, become donors.
- Western History Association meets Tulsa; Milam catalog published.
- Much effort to meet NAGPRA requirements.
- McFarlin Fellows initiated.
- Filmmakers Dayton Duncan and Geoffrey Ward speak at the first formal McFarlin Fellows dinner.
- Special Collections acquires the William Trevor collection, the Jean Rhys collection and the V. S. Naipaul collection.
- The Oil Bust of the late 80s finally reaches the Library, with increasing losses in periodicals and staff layoffs.
- Revised access policies, increased fees-for-service implemented; 25 McFarlin Fellows.
- V.S. Naipaul visits; gives reading.
- Max Beerbohm’s copy of Zuleika Dobson acquired from Rupert Hart-Davis; Donal K. Holway gives his mother’s Signpost Library.
- Gopher site established on Tured (Petroleum Abstracts server)
- William Trevor Addenda; 30 Fellows.
- George H. Gilpin steps down as Provost; 35 McFarlin Fellows have raised $162,000.
- The Reference Desk is moved to its long-term location in the underground addition on the study level. The North and South Reference Rooms are converted to computer labs.
- First Internet computers available to Library Users
- The library develops its first webpage.
- University “reengineering”: nearly 40 positions eliminated, including a dozen library positions.
- Dialog (The University ofTulsa Magazine): Sidney F. Huttner, “In the Heart of the Heart”, p16-19. Article reviewing gifts to the library over the University’s 100-year history.
- 40 McFarlin Fellows.
- Deutsch Addenda acquired.
- Blunden collection acquired from Hart-Davis.
- John Rogers, Jr. gift of Limited Editions Club books.
- The library adopts Innovative Interfaces as its new online catalog system.
- Migration from LIAS to Innopac online catalog.Mary Robinson, President of Ireland, speaks to the McFarlin Fellows.
- Archives separated from Special Collections and assigned to Toby Murray.
- 50 Fellows have contributed $175,000.
- Francis Wyndham-Jean Rhys Addenda.
- Howard Brown Christopher Morley collection.
- William and Emily Kiekhofer give Wealth ofNations (1776).
- Jack Powell gives his Sherlock Holmes collection.
- Cyber Cafe opens on the Main Level. McFarlin is one of the earliest libraries in the state to open a cafe.
- Stafford Davis gives his Sherlock Holmes collection weeks before his death.
- 51 Fellows have contributed $250,000.
- Computers upgraded to Pentium IIs.
- HTML pages created and added to library website as department component.
- John and Lee Major give Nuremberg Chronicle (1493).
- The library is merged into Information Services.
- 5,131 linear feet of compact shelving installed.
- Addenda to Richard Murphy Papers acquired.
- The Chapman Trust creates the Robert & Ida McFarlin Endowment to support rare book and manuscript acquisitions. The initial gift is $500,000 with an additional $1,500,000 pledged.
- Robert H. Patterson takes early retirement; 59 Fellows have contributed $33-5,000.
- Francine J. Fisk appointed the new Library Director.
- Sid Huttner resigns to take post at the University of Iowa. Lori Curtis becomes the Head of Special Collections.
- 61 Fellows have contributed a bit over $400,000
- Sir Rupert Hart-Davis library and papers arrive at McFarlin.
Midwest Refining Company papers,Roger Easson library of Robert Bly, Robert Bridges Siegfried Sassoon correspondence, Kay and Roger Easson Library of William Blake,Frederick Morris Lookout Native American music recordings, 1955-1969 are among the Special Collections acquisitions.
- Special Collections offices are redecorated.
- An event in April 2005 featuring Richard West, founding Director of the National Museum of the American Indian began the celebration the McFarlin LIbrary's 75th anniversary.
- Thomas Staley, Director of the Harry Ransom Research Center at the University of Texas at Austin spoke at the official rededication ceremony for McFarlin Library in honor of the 75th anniversary.
- McFarlin Library celebrated its 75th Anniversary with an open house during Homecoming.
- Lori Curtis resigned to take a position at Loma Linda University. Director of the Library, Marc Carlson became the Interim Head of Special Collections.
- Special Collections collection number system is established.
- Rupert Hart Davis cataloging project is begun
- Adrian Alexander becomes the first R. M. and Ida McFarlin Dean of the Library.
- Both Eugenia Maddox and Leta Sowter Dover historic library directors received designation as Oklahoma Library Legends during the OLA centennial year. During the awards ceremony then current Library Director Francine picked up the awards in their honor.
- Construction on the Pauline M. WalterTechnology Wing is begun.
- Special Collections Acquires the Archivists' Toolkit collection management system.
- Marc Carlson becomes The Librarian of Special Collections and University Archives